Sunday, September 30, 2012

Back on the potty training train.

After the poop on the floor at daycare and pee on the floor here we realized we needed a new approach. So as I mentioned before, we now ask him if he needs to go if he starts doing "the potty dance" or we are just asking him to try. We also decided to try to good ol' potty chart system. And well we have some success! It isn't anything fancy at all. Antonio helped me pick the color of paper and I made a chart. Every time he goes pee he puts a sticker on the "pee" row and after 15 stickers he gets a car (or anything else he wants for the Dollar store) and after 5 poop's he gets the same thing.



Yesterday we put a pull - up on him twice. Once to go to the store and once to go to my Aunts for a birthday party for my cousin and her husband. When we got home from the store the pull-up was completely dry! I had him go pee right before we put it on and then as soon as we got home I had him take it off and try to pee. Turns out it worked great! When we went to my Aunt's I brought pull-ups with us (and a treat just in case) because I assumed he would not use the potty there. Good thing I had brought treats because he went pee THREE times there. He didn't ask or tell us but every time we noticed him doing "the potty dance" we asked him and and he willingly went! I was beyond surprised and proud of him; especially since he is VERY unfamiliar with her house. He rarely goes potty at daycare and has NEVER gone anywhere else. Before we left we even took him in to try and sure enough he went! So his pull-up was dry the WHOLE time at my Aunts, which was about 3.5 hours! So all day yesterday he went in his potty, no accidents! We were/are so proud of him!

To our surprise we got to 15 fast and since he had reached 15 stickers last night, as promised, we went to buy him a car. He even got to pick it out himself! He was so excited about it. I think he understands why he got it but I am not 100% sure. Sure enough when we got home his pull-up was completely dry again! So today we made a new potty chart and it already has 3 pee stickers and 1 poop sticker!! I made it with 2 rows for pee since it seems we will go through pee's stickers a lot faster than poop (duh). I am hoping the awesome day he had yesterday carries over today and into the week. I also really hope he goes potty at daycare too; fingers crossed.


***Update. As of tonight at bedtime Antonio has had NO accidents all weekend AND his pull-up (when worn) has always been dry! Also, when he was in the bathtub tonight he asked to get out because he had to go pee. He said he didn't want to go in the tub; so he got out and pee'd in the potty! :) We are half way to another car/toy already. : D  I am not sure if it's the potty chart or the rough couple "potty days" he had but whatever it is/was helped!!

No comments:

Post a Comment