Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Kindergarten, here we come.



Welp. Its here.

Antonio starts Kindergarten tomorrow morning.

The bus will arrive at 8:57 to pick him up and take him to school to begin a whole new chapter of his life.

Am I ready?

Plain and simple. NO.

However, I think he is. As you know he just turned 5 and the trend tends to be that summer birthday kids, especially boys, wait a year. We decided to go against the trend and send him this year. It was an incredibly hard decision for me, one that I am not 100% sure of yet. Both his Pre-K teacher and Ms. Rosemary seem to think he is very ready. I am sure part of my reasons for not being sure is that he is my baby and well, I am not ready to accept the fact he is going to school because that also means he is growing up and I'm not ready for that either. Another reason is that there are some social skills he hasn't mastered yet but that he can do.

I am sure he will be fine. I trust Ms Rosemary, in fact she is he second Mother in my opinion and if she says he's ready then he must be ready. Its like good cop/bad cop in the sense that I am extremely emotionally attached and possibly not as objective where she is. He loves her and she loves him; I can see it. She knows him and that makes me trust her. She really was a HUGE blessing for Antonio and us.

Anyways, last night was the meet n greet at his school we got to meet his teacher, Mrs. Rusher, who seems nice but did not seem very confident, which didn't calm my nerves. She seemed very nervous too. She will share the classroom with the PM kinder teacher, so she's part time; good for her. Maybe that will benefit Antonio's class later in the year in hopes she won't be as burnt out as other teachers.  I am hoping she will grow on me. She wasn't bad in any way, just not the "strong, yet gentle", confident teacher I was hoping for. We will see. The classroom didn't even seem "ready" either. Or maybe my expectations are to high; his pre-k room was much more "put together". My mom thought that maybe by tomorrow it will be better.

 Antonio and Mrs. Rusher

Today we went back to school for his Kindergarten assessment. From what Mrs. Rusher said it went good. I sat outside and filled out a survey so I have no idea what was asked or done. School had started for grades 1-5 so we got to see other kids walking in lines quietly and kids at recess.

Tomorrow, Antonio said he wanted to ride the bus to and from school. So we will walk to the corner and wait for the bus. I am beyond nervous about this. The whole no seatbelt thing, new faces and nobody he knows makes me nervous. If you know my kid at all, you know he does not thrive in situations where he doesn't know anyone. So thankfully, the bus ride is very short. I'm worried he'll be scared once he's on the bus, not knowing anyone or where to sit. Heck, part of me is worried in the moment he will decide he doesn't want to get on.

The parents are invited to meet our kids at school then all go into their classroom, help them get settled in. I guess Mrs. Rusher will read a story and then ask us parents to leave. I'm sure Antonio will be fine with that but I can only imagine how disruptive it could be. We'll see.

I found this tear-jerking, heartstring pulling article on Facebook from The Huffington Post and found it perfect. I will re-read this tonight and possible tomorrow after I come him from his school. In the off chance the link doesn't work I will post in in the following "post" to read.

Stay tuned for a follow up to his first day of school! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment